One Mom's Personal Journey...Back To Herself!

Registering for my first 5K - help
Ok, so I went to register for my first 5k and I didn't realise that I would have to choose between timed vs. untimed. Kinda conjured up images of me getting trampled, pissing people off who are serious racers and coming in dead last!!! Stupid fears again. I had originally envisioned starting at the back of the pack and just blending in with the rest of the slow pokes.

My training is going well, I am on my last day of week 7 of 5K 101 podcast. I warm up 5min, and then alternate running 12 min with walking for 3 min in between sets. So 3 sets of 12 and running for 36 minutes. At this point I am ready to do week 8 and run for 30 min straight. My race is 17 days away. So I know I can drag myself over the finish line....even if I have to gimp.

I would love any input on what to expect and for you guys to kick me in the arse and tell me to go for the timed race!!!! Ok....please commence arse kicking!

(Thanks for the love by the way, I missed u guys too!)
Labels: , , edit post
4 Responses
  1. Anonymous Says:

    I'm running my first 5k in a few weeks (13 days!) and feel your fears! I'm running a timed run. My goal is to get a tshirt *GRIN* and finish the race. I'm hoping to do it under 40 minutes, but I was told not to aim for a time. I've talked to some girls at the gym and they suggested sticking to the back and running the sides.
    Keep us posted!


  2. Congrats on signing up for your 1st 5K. You are going to do great.

    I found when I started running in R1P3 that most of my issues with running were all in my head. My body can physically do the running, its my head that has these limitations. Im sure you can do the 30 minutes no problem. I actually went running with a friend yesterday (she runs everyday at least 5 miles, so I was very intimidated!) and I kept up and didnt walk, and made it the whole 5 miles. It felt awesome, and I was really proud of myself. The thing that keeps me going...I just keep telling myself during the run, just stop when you cant go anymore...and then I keep telling myself that until I only have a little left and then I say, well you only have this much left, might as well keep going...it really works for me. And go for the timed race, then you'll know how fast you were going (and you always go faster during a race due to the adrenaline and all those amazing people doing the race with you!).

    We are so proud of you!


  3. Thanks guys! I signed up for the timed race.