One Mom's Personal Journey...Back To Herself!

Happy Earth Day!
I don't know about you but I have been totally thinking about Earth Day this year. I guess it is because I overhauled Lauren's diet and environment due to allergies, food and otherwise (and also my diet).  Trying to pinpoint toxins that were causing her to have a reaction took a monumental amount of research and effort. I learned a lot. It encouraged me to be more mindful.

Of course, I would love to be more eco-friendly. I'm not even close to where I need to be. Since today is Earth Day I invested some time pontificating on additional simple, affordable and fun ways that I might push myself. I mean beyond no-VOC paint, light bulbs and non-disposable grocery bags!  I have included some useful links and information I found along the way. I hope you find it interesting.

One point that was repeatedly reiterated in the volumes of green information I perused is that, generally, what is good for our health is also good for the environment. A full circle philosophy. Many of the diet and health choices you and I have been making are "green".

I have mentioned going organic before but I did some reading on prioritizing the produce I should select in order to make it more affordable. I found a printable "dirty dozen" and "clean 15" list published by Environmental Working Group for organic "musts". This list assists in reducing consumption and intake of chemicals and pesticides.

The best place to purchase fresh local organic produce and grass fed meat is your nearest farmer's market. (Pike is one of my favorites!) Ah yes, the season is upon us!  If you aren't sure where your nearby market is I have included two links for locating one. According to Gail Feenstra of UC Davis Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education Program,  "Food travels approximately 1,500 miles from farm to fork". So not only are farmer's markets great for organics, they also reduce environmental pollution.

Gardening is not my forte. Many plants have died a slow agonizing death as a result of my brown thumb. I really would like to plant some herbs and veggies this year. Lauren is getting old enough to help me and I know she would enjoy it. A great place to start would be to pick one or two of the "dirty dozen" and grow them myself in a container garden. Maybe strawberries, lettuce or kale. There is even a book out by Barbara Barker, Container Gardening for Health:The 12 Most Important Fruits and Vegetables for your Organic Garden.


Hmmm, and what's up with the corn fed beef issue? I investigated when I started hCG due to all the American beef bashing. Yuk!!!!. Stock yards and an unnatural diet of corn and soy result in high hormones, antibiotics and pesticides. Not to mention the ranching process is inhumane and not eco-friendly. According to Eatwild.com, "a diet of grazed grass requires much less fossil fuel than a feedlot diet of dried corn and soy."(they have a grassfed locator). Organic grassfed beef is on the Forbes top 10 list of food (as well as kale). It is lower in saturated fats and higher in Omega-3's, vitamins, minerals and conjugated linoleic acid. I could go on...

So much to consider! How about soap?  My husband insists on different soaps because, TMI, he won't wash his face with the same soap he washes his butt with. (Ummm, please don't put the soap there honey!!!!) I have been reading about liquid soap and considering going fully organic there too. Obviously house cleaning and personal hygiene products are loaded with chemicals that are detrimental to the environment. Organic soap and especially liquid soap is more eco-friendly and also conserves water, especially if you take a Navy shower! Save 15,000 gallons of water a year!!

So I have been reading more about natural products you can use to clean your home and your body. I have even been considering making my own liquid soap with an organic soap base such as those from brambleberry.com or simply by following a recipe for boiling distilled water and combining it with an organic bar soap such as Dr. Bronners.

Another great tip an author made was that conserving in some areas offsets your costs in other areas. Conserve water, stretch your soap budget, grow your own veggies and eat more vegetarian meals to help pay for organics and grassfed meats.

A long post but this is where my mind is today in regards to Earth Day. I hope to have inspired you!

(Earth pic originally from University of Wyoming Dusty Shelves blog)
Labels: edit post
0 Responses