One Mom's Personal Journey...Back To Herself!

Running Shoes - Please Advise! Pronation huh??
So moving right along! I want to do the "Couch Potato to 5k" and start running. I need to buy some running shoes. If you guys have any advice please let me know. This is what I have researched so far:

On Runner's World they had a video about determining what type of arch you have or "pronation". I did the wet foot on paper as found on this link. As far as I can tell I have a normal leaning towards high arch.  http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-240-319-326-7152-0,00.html#

They also discussed scrutinizing your old shoes to determine how the sole has worn: "Put your shoes on the edge of a table and crouch down so you're looking straight at the heels. If the heels have a distinct inward lean (toward the arch), you're probably an overpronator. If the heels are relatively straight and tall, you are a neutral runner. If the heels lean outward, you're probably an underpronator."

Both indicated I was normal with slightly high arch and should look for a "stability" shoe. I will be running on a treadmill at home and also a lake path that is a combination of pavement and gravel.

I created a list of probable shoes that have positive consumer reviews and I am planning on shopping this weekend. If you have any thoughts please dish! ;)

Labels: edit post
3 Responses
  1. Im totally an overpronator, and I had had good luck with Asics Gel 2120 or that series in the past-so to those are a good one to try, but I must say that I LOVE my new Saucony Omni 8's that i got two weeks ago (they look really cool, too) and they might be a little more comfy and supportive (stability wise) than the asics...one thing Ive found is that when you overpronate, you cant skimp on shoes...they are expensive, but they protect your feet. Also, dont get your shoes from Marshalls or Kohls or a place that is not a running shop (online is cheapest), since those types of stores do not carry the seasons latest, and the padding, etc can start to break down and provide less support. I got my Saucony's for $85 from an expo...you could probably find them locally for about $110 or a little less. The spring line is purple...if they are blue that was last fall, fyi. Good luck!


  2. Thanks Kelly, I will add the Saucony Omni 8 to my list. I've listed the following shoes to try when I go to the specialty shop:

    New Balance 1064, 769
    Nike Triax 13, Lunar Elite+
    Asics GT 2150, Gell Kayano 16
    Saucony Progrid Guide 3, Omni 8
    Brooks Adrenaline GTS 10
    Mizuno Wave Inspire 6

    Budget is to keep it under $140.


  3. Anonymous Says:
    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.