One Mom's Personal Journey...Back To Herself!

R1 D4 P4 - 157.6 Adding Starches & Gluten Free Baking
Friday brought the return of starches and sugars in my life (since Valentine's Day). Of course I over indulged! I started with sweet potatoes for breakfast, I consumed Yo Cream (chocolate mint frozen yogurt with mini choco chips) while out shopping and wrapped up with our favorite Teriyaki place (white rice, tofu cabbage plate). Although I tried to control my portions by eating out of small bowls, weigh in the next morning was a stern reflection of my lack of self control. Ooopsie!

Anyhoo, I have been enjoying baking again. I did a spring clean on my pantry and went to Ikea for a new set of glass pantry canisters for my gluten free ingredients. I also hit the bulk Bob's Red Mill flour section. Applying what I have learned about gluten free flour by being able to purchase from the bulk bins (so cheap!) was a tremendous reward (I picked up some black bean flour for my brownie bites). Upon going gluten free I didn't have a clue about discerning quinoa from millet, etc. I have come a long way since September '09.

This weekend I made a couple batches of mini brownies and muffins. (I love my mini cupcake pan because it helps me with portion control.) Inspired by a black bean brownie recipe I saw, I made a batch of brownies with black bean flour and also a batch of oat, lemon and blueberry muffins too. I have learned to appreciate raw organic blue agave (complex carb that doesn't spike blood sugar levels) and coconut oil (full of omega 3's) in baking. I am enchanted and amazed that using a combination of bean and rice flours makes a complete protein when baking gluten free treats. All of these ingredients metabolise differently and offer numerous health benefits in sharp contrast to traditional baked goods and ingredients.

Finally, I found the most amazing farmer's market a couple weekends ago and thus started a little mini organic lettuce and kale patch out in my half wine barrels. Easier to contain, manage and for me - kill off and swiftly dispose of. I am an A.D.D. gardener and I have a brown thumb. I was surprised to find my lemon thyme and oregano lived through winter! Stubborn little buggers were awesome on my sweet potatoes!
6 Responses
  1. Hi darling,

    Those recipes sound devine. I cant wait to get back to P3 and P4 so I start having all that again.

    Just to let you know, they have now found that agave affects some people as adversely as HFCS. You can check out Mercola.com-its a pretty big scandal actually...since the way they process it makes it a really not so good sweetener (and we all thought it was the cats meow because of the hype, right?). So now we all need to find another one. Does Maple Syrup work for you? How about honey?


  2. lavenderdiva Says:

    Your recipes sound scrumptious! Kelly is right about the agave-- its as bad as HFCS is. They are just discovering this. Better to stick to real sugar.


  3. Crap don't tell me that. I am addicted and will go into convulsions. Besides Lauren can't metabolise refined sugars or most sweeteners for that matter. Evan apple juice gives her diarrhea!


  4. looking into the agave- it appears to be like anything else, including recent soy reports, fraught with opinions driven by groups with possible undisclosed agendas and finger pointing. I will have to do further research and encourage others to do their own and form their own opinions. Kelly is correct that honey may be a better alternative and I can use it more now that Lauren is older and I don't have to worry about baby botulism. Sheesh!


  5. Anonymous Says:

    A walking buddy discovered a farmer's market not far from our subdivision. I'm planning on making a trip this weekend. She said there were booths with assorted flours, fresh eggs and dairy.


  6. K Says:

    I'm about 5 days behind you - today is day 21 of P3. I might not go the full 21 days of P4 - I'm still thinking about it. Are you thinking of doing the drops or the injections for R2P2?

    Thanks for the supportive comment you left for me - really appreciate knowing others can relate.